Friday 13 March 2009

Daily Buddhist Prayers 3

Daily Buddhist Prayers 3
1. Salutations
Ratanattaya Vandanā

Araham sammasambuddho, bhagavā, buddham bhagavantam abhivādemi.

Svākkhato bhagavatā dhammo, dhammam namassami.

Supatipanno bhagavato sāvakasangho, sangham namāmi.

Paying of respect to the Triple Gem

The Blessed One is the worthy one and fully enlightened. I pay homage to the awakened and Blessed One.

The Dhamma is well expounded by the Blessed One. I pay homage to the Dhamma.

The Sangha of the Blessed One's disciples has practiced well. I pay homage to the Sangha.
Leader :
I kneel before the Buddha image ,with clear and calm mind.
I offer to the Buddha, my purest thought and heart full of devotion.
I bow before the Compassionate Buddha, the Supremely Enlightened One, who shows the Way to Liberation.
Bow
I bow before the Supreme Dhamma, the Buddha’s Teaching,
that leads from darkness to Spiritual Light.
Bow
I bow before the Holy Sangha, the Community of the Buddha’s Disciples, that inspires and guides.
Bow
2. Homage to the Buddha

Leader :
Honour to Him, the Blessed One, the Worthy One, the fully Enlightened One.
Namo Tassa Bhagavato Arahato Sammā sambuddhassa (X3)
3. Going for Refuge (Saranagamana)
Leader :
To the Buddha, our Teacher and Spiritual Guide, we go for refuge,
To the Dhamma, the Path to Liberation, we go for refuge,
To the Sangha, the Spiritual Community, we go for refuge.
Buddham saranam gacchāmi
Dhammam saranam gacchāmi
Sangham saranam gacchāmi


I go to the Buddha for refuge
I go to the Dhamma for refuge
I go to the Sangha for refuge

Dutiyampi Buddham saranam gacchāmi
Dutiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchāmi
Dutiyampi Sangham saranam gacchāmi

For the second time, I go to the Buddha for refuge
For the second time, I go to the Dhamma for refuge
For the second time, I go to the Sangha for refuge

Tatiyampi Buddham saranam gacchāmi
Tatiyampi Dhammam saranam gacchāmi
Tatiyampi Sangham saranam gacchāmi

For the third time, I go to the Buddha for refuge
For the third time, I go to the Dhamma for refuge
For the third time, I go to the Sangha for refuge

Posture : Sit
4. Five Precepts

Panca Sīla

1. Pānātipātā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi
2. Adinnādānā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi
3. Kaamesu micchācārā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi
4. Musāvādā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi
5. Surā meraya majja pamādatthānā veramanī sikkhāpadam samādiyāmi

The Five Precepts

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from taking what is not given.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from sexual misconduct.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from false speech.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from drugs and liquor that cause intoxication and heedlessness.
Leader :
Let us all be seated.
The wrong action we do cause suffering.
An act performed thoughtlessly or with greed and hatred
brings pain to ourselves, what more to others.
Five noble principles we follow to train ourselves,
and bring happiness to the world.

I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from destroying living beings.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from taking what is not given.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from sexual misconduct.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from false speech.
I undertake to observe the precept to abstain from drugs and liquor that cause intoxication and heedlessness.
FIVE NOBLE PRINCIPLE
Leader :
Master our words, master our Thoughts. Never allow our body to do harm.
With deeds of love and compassion, I purify my action.
With selfless giving, I purify my action.
With moderation and contentment, I purify my action.
With truthful words, I purify my speech.
With clear mindfulness and calmness, I purify my thoughts.
5. Homage to the Triple Gem
Leader :
Let us pay homage to the Buddha, Dhamma and Sangha.
I honour the Blessed One: the Holy One, fully enlightened, endowed with clear vision and virtuous conduct, sublime, the knower of the worlds, the incomparable leader of men to be tamed, the teacher of gods and men, He is enlightened and blessed.

I honour the Teaching, the Dhamma of the Blessed One is perfectly expounded; to be seen here and now; bringing immediate good results; inviting one to come and see; leading to Nibbana; to be realized by the wise, each for himself.

I honour the Noble Disciples of the Buddha,
The Sangha of the Blessed One has entered on the good path; the Sangha of the Blessed One has entered on the direct path; the Sangha of the Blessed One has entered on the correct path, the Sangha of the Blessed One has entered on the proper path, that is to say; the Four Pairs of Men, the Eight Types of Persons; the Sangha of the Blessed One is worthy of gifts, worthy of hospitality, worthy of offerings, and worthy of respect, as the incomparable field of merits for the world.
Till Deliverance is attained, I go to the Buddha,
Dhamma and Sangha for refuge.
No other refuge do I seek (for my protection and liberation),
the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha is my matchless refuge;
by the truth of these words, may joyous victory be mine !
6. Recollection of virtues and making aspirations
Leader :
Let us spend a few minutes on recollection of virtue .....
ASKING FOR FORGlVENESS
If this in the past I have done wrong to other beings
with body speech or mind whether greatly or only little
whether through malice or lack of tact here before the Buddha
I acknowledge my transgressions and ask to be forgiven.
I ask to be forgiven not wishing to conceal my faults
or make excuses for them.
I ask to be forgiven knowing how little
I have to complain about when others do me wrong.
I ask to be forgiven hoping my bad example
will not lead others into wrong.
I ask to be forgiven feeling truly sorry
and promising to make amends.
I ask to be forgiven resolving to practise restrain in the future.
May all beings be free from vengeance.
May all beings be forgiven for their faults.
May my faults always be small and easily overcome.
7. Counting one’s own blessings
Infinite in number and variety are the states of existence
that beings are born into. I have been born as a human being.
Countless are those who cannot speak
or hear what is spoken to them who cannot see or read
and who lack the power to reason and ponder.
I have been born with all limbs and faculties complete.
Many are those who dwell in lands of strife and conflict
and who are deprived of security and safety.
I am living in a land that is at peace.
Incalculable are those forced to toil without end
and who are driven by hunger and want.
I have wealth to sustain the body and time to give it rest.
Numerous are those whose bodies and minds are in bonds
who are not their own masters unable to go where they wish
unable to think as they like.
I enjoy great freedom.
Without number are those who live in regions
where the light of the Dhamma shines not
or where its message is not heard above the racket of false doctrines.
I have heard and understood the good Dhamma.
Truly precious is this human life and great are the blessings I enjoy.
Here before The Buddha I contemplate on my good fortune
and resolve to use this rare opportunity to work for my own good
and the good of others.
With strong determination I will overcome all obstacles both great and small.
8. Contemplation of death
I sit now before the Buddha and contemplate that He
and all who knew Him are now dead.
Since His great demise countless beings have come
bided their time and gone.
The names and deeds of but a few are remembered.
Their many pains their joys their victories and defeats
like themselves are now but shadows.
And so it will be with all whom I know.
Passing time will turn into mere shadows the calamities I worry about the possibilities I fear and the pleasures I chase after
therefore I will contemplate the reality of may own death !
that I may understand what is of true value in life.
Because death may soon come, I will repay all debts
forgive all transgressions and be at odds with none.
Because death may soon come I will squander no time brooding
on past mistakes but use each day as if it were my last.
Because death may soon come I will purify my mind
rather than pamper the body.
Because death may soon come and I will be separated
from those I love I will develop detached compassion
rather than possessiveness and clinging.
Because death may soon come I will use each day fully
not wasting it on fruitless pursuits and vain longings.
May I be prepared when death finally comes.
May I be fearless as life ebbs away.
May my detachment help in the freeing of the heart.
9. Forgiving others
If this day or in the past others have done me wrong
through body speech or mind whether greatly or only little
whether with malice or lack of tact here before the Buddha
I sincerely forgive them and let go of all my grudge,
I forgive remembering how often I too have been at fault.
I forgive realising how quick I am to take offence
while expecting my faults to be forgiven.
I forgive knowing that to hold ill-will
is to cause myself greater harm than others can do to me.
I forgive resolving not to speak about this wrong to any other beings.
I forgive knowing that desire for revenge
only brings the heart turmoil and agitation.
I forgive because this is the way
love and detachment blossom in the heart.
I forgive knowing that Iike me that person is still burning
with greed, hatred and delusion.
May my forgiving now help me to forgive again tomorrow.
May my forgiving encourage others to forgive me.
May my forgiving foster detachment and kindness and help in the freeing of the heart.
10. Friendship
Have I this day failed to act as a close friend to those who I have met ?
Have I through body speech or mind been hostile
indifferent or rude to any other being?
Have I sought to take advantage of others not looking upon them
as if they were grandparents parents brothers or sisters ?
Here before the Buddha I resolve to be as our Master Himself
a true friend to the world.
As a friend I will help the troubled
counsel the misguided and comfort the lonely.
As a friend I will never misuse
another's confidence in me to mislead or to deceive.
As a friend I will abandon neither the evil-doer nor fool
for if I do who shall be the guide?

As a friend I will ignore ingratitude and mistrust
and continue to offer my friendship,
As a friend delighting always in concord
I will speak of other's good deeds
and be silent about their faults.
As a friend I will long remember/ the good done to me
and soon forget the bad.
May my friendliness win me the friendship of others.
May my friendliness protect me from hostility anger and aggression.
May my friendliness grow into love and compassion
and help in the freeing of the heart.
11. Generosity
Have I this day begrudged sharing the great abundance I enjoy ?
Engrossed in what is mine without a thought for others.
Have I enjoyed the abundance thinking this is mine alone ?
Or have I delighted in giving without meanness or greed ?
Here before the Buddha, I resolve always to give and share.
I will give but never what is harmful even when asked.
I will give not just to those I like
but to strangers and even to the hostile.
I will give being mindful of the needs of others
without waiting to be asked.
I will give humbly without desire for recognition.
I will give and I will also let others give to me.
I will give not letting second thoughts taint my generosity.
I will give knowing that generosity
helps develop renunciation.
May my generosity transform the mean and pacify the hostile.
May my generosity befriend the newcomer and comfort the unhappy.
May my generosity dissolve all greed and clinging
and help in the freeing of the heart.
12. Peace
I sit now before the Buddha and contemplate
that by seeing the aggregates as empty, He attained great peace.
It is His unmoving stillness and sorrowless compassion
that shall be my inspiration.
Those who are angry at injustice
impatient for change despairing at tragedy
elated today and depressed tomorrow are soon exhausted.
But those whose minds are always still
and so abide in peace are abundant in energy.
They like the Buddha are islands of peace
in a sea of turmoil and a refuge to all beings.
Therefore I will seek peace and quiet avoiding always
the loud the noisy and those who wish to argue.
I will strive to restore harmony to those who are at odds.
I will speak without abuse or harshness
gentle always with words sweet and true.
I will strive to be conciliatory and yielding
never begin the source of conflict for others.
May all who live in turmoil find the peace they long for.
May my heart be free from the agitation of the defilement.
May my abiding in peace help in the freeing of the heart.
13. Rejoicing in one’s own good deeds
If this day or in the past I have done good
to other beings with body, speech or mind
whether greatly or only little for the happiness of others
through desire for the training or respect for the triple Gem
here before the Buddha I call to mind
those deeds and let my heart rejoice.
I rejoice in my own good deeds resolving not to compare
myself with others or speak of what I have done.
I rejoice in my own good deeds and gladly share my joy
with all beings everywhere.
I rejoice in my own good deeds
allowing this joy to further purify my heart.
I rejoice in my own good deed hoping they will awaken in others
the desire to practise the Dhamma
May my good deeds relieve the burdens of other beings.
May my good deeds shield me from all evil and pain.
May my good deeds and the merit that comes from them
help in the freeing of the heart.
14. Rejoicing in other’s good deeds
If this day or in the past I have seen or heard
of the good deeds done by others, with body, speech or mind,
whether greatly or only little, whether it is I who have benefited or others,
here before the Buddha I call to mind,
those deeds and let my heart rejoice.
I rejoice in other's good regarding only that
and not any wrong they may have done.
I rejoice in other's good being always ready
to praise kind people and follow that example.
I rejoice in other's good seeing that
in a world full of selfishness
there are many who are noble.
I rejoice in other's good expressing always gratitude
and thanks for any kindness done.
I rejoice in other's good allowing that joy
to further purify my heart.
May the good deeds of others never give rise to jealousy spite or envy.
May the good deeds of others foster gratitude and concern.
May the good deeds of others nurture goodness in me
and help in freeing of the heart.
15. Making aspirations
Leader :
Let us now make our aspiration.
By the grace of the merits I have accumulated,
may I never follow the way of the foolish.
May I be blessed with wise friends and skillful teachers
who help me along the Path of Dhamma.
Wherever I may be until my final Liberation,
may I never stray from the Path.
May I always have the chance to practise and realise the Dhamma.
Posture : Kneel
16. Final Salutation
Leader :
To end this Buddha Puja, let us kneel to pay our closing salutations to the Triple Gems.
I revere the Buddha, and aspire to follow Him.
Just like Him, may I too overcome my defilement and cultivate my virtues.
To the Buddha, I bow down.
Bow
I revere the Dhamma, and aspire to follow the Teachings.
May I realise the Truth, in all its aspects, the Path in all its stages.
To the Dhamma, I bow down.
Bow
I revere the Sangha, and aspire to follow their Noble examples.
May the reign of Truth be prolonged and continue to guide and bless.
To the Sangha, I bow down.
Bow
SADHU ! SADHU ! SADHU !

With reference to e-Puja from Mahindarama Temple in Peneng.

No comments: